Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Want to Host a Public Shoot?

Please note: as of this writing (May 22, 2008) it looks like there will be no room on the calendar for additional public shoots. I'm amazed at the response; I never dreamed of such support from the shops and guilds, nor such enthusiasm from the knitters.

I'm leaving this information in place for the benefit of those already on the calendar, but again–it looks as though I'm fully booked. If that changes, you can bet I'll make a note of it here.

Thank you all so much, from the bottom of my heart.

_____

If you run a shop, a festival, a guild, or some other Place Where Knitters Will Congregate and would like to consider hosting a public shoot, I'd like to hear from you.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from potential hosts outside the American midwest. (I've had a lot of requests to visit from individual knitters in New York City; Washington, DC; Seattle; Portland, OR; Atlanta; and London, but as yet no offers to host.)

At the moment, my calendar is full through the end of summer 2008.

Before you write, please read the following carefully.

Scheduling a Public Shoot

In order to make a public shoot happen, we'll need:
  1. Sufficient floor space. The set-up for the portraits requires approximately 50 square feet of open, indoor space (5' x 10') on a level surface, preferably near a good source of natural light.

  2. Electricity. Particularly in instances where natural light is weak or unavailable, there must be at least one grounded electrical outlet into which a studio lamp can be plugged.

  3. One dedicated, assisting staff member. Public shoots can become crowded at times. A numbering system helps to keep things running smoothly. I'll need at least one person to distribute model releases, give and call numbers, and explain the basics of the project to those who might inquire.

  4. A simple chair. A backless stool is fine. Armless is preferable. Knitters come in all shapes and sizes, so it should be sturdy.

  5. Waiting space. Those waiting to be photographed will need somewhere to hang out, knit, and fill in their model releases.
Costs/Fees
I don't charge a fee for shooting, but also can't pay for the use of your venue. If you're a retail operation or a guild, additional traffic may increase your daily take or your membership, but I can't offer a guarantee.
Shooting Outside Chicago
I want to take this project on the road, and hope to find ways to do so. But it will be tricky, because I'm just a regular guy with a day job that provides limited income and vacation. If I can't get to your venue and back again under my own steam in the course of one day (meaning you're outside Chicago), then we'll have to figure out logistics and funding very carefully.

For an out-of-town shoot, I require compensation for travel, accommodation, and two meals (breakfast and lunch) per day. If I am visiting only to shoot, there is no appearance fee.

For an example of how much fun an out-of-town shoot can be, check out my description of the 1000 Knitters event staged by the Camellia City Stockinettes of Sacramento, California.
How to Contact Me
Send e-mail to portraits [at] franklinhabit [daht] com, with the subject line "1000 Host." Please include basic details such as your name, the name of the venue, the location, and the dates you propose.

And thank you very much for your interest!